Billheads for W. H. Schieffelin & Co., later Schieffelin & Co., printed ca. 1880 and ca. 1895; issued 1882 and 1898. Gift of William H. Helfand.
H. Schieffelin & Co. ordered billheads in bulk to secure a volume discount, as did most commercial businesses, resulting in supplies of stationery that were used for many years. While other 19th-century firms marketed themselves with an exterior view of a factory or storefront, for more than two decades, the prominent drug company marketed its products with symbolic images, including the apothecary figure. Although originally engraved by the American Bank Note Company, Schieffelen’s billhead was replicated using the less costly lithographic process after the reorganization of the firm in 1895. Despite the revisions to the text, the graphic design continued to incorporate the popular, shadowy Gaslight Style of the era.